The Marvel Cinematic Universe consists of dozens of movies and shows, with content having been produced for the continuity since 2008. The events of the films concern events, objects and individuals with history and lore spanning the entire existence of this fictional universe. Keeping track of events might be hard on the spot, so this handy Marvel movie timeline should help you out.
MCU content was released in a non-chronological order, so if you are wondering about what order to watch the movies and series in, we have a guide for that too!
There is a lot of lore and backstory going on, but the movies themselves clue you in on that. There are a number of comics that take place in the MCU continuity as well, but they are so numerous and ultimately have so little effect on the plot that we decided not to confuse readers with all the additional information.
If you end up only watching the movies, you’ll have a perfect understanding of what’s going on anyway.
Before the Movies
A few key events took place before any of the movies themselves occur.
Earth’s history lines up with reality in broad strokes, but throughout the universe all kinds of marvellous and terrifying entities came into being. Before the universe itself began, six so-called “singularities”, that would become the infinity stones, existed – these being Space, Mind, Reality, Power, Time, and Soul. Dark Elves are the first forms of life to come into existence and who rule over all creation for the time being.
After the universe as we know it comes into existence, cosmic entities turn the aforementioned singularities into the infinity stones. Around the same time the Collector and the Grandmaster appear. The Celestials evolve, as do other intelligent species on various planets.
The events that happen after all this are usually summarized in the prologues for the various films. Fast forward to a couple of thousand years in the past and Asgard is waging various wars throughout the nine realms, in particular against the Frost Giants. The technologically advanced Kree conduct experiments on the nascent human race leading to the emergence of the Inhumans. The magical entity Agamotto arrives to Earth and begins training humans in the Arcane Arts and constructs the sanctuaries, founding the title of Sorcerer Supreme.
Centuries before the present day, a meteorite composed entirely of Vibranium crashes into Africa, introducing the rare metal to the planet and eventually leading to the rise of the highly advanced Wakandan civilisation. Meanwhile the Kree are locked in an intergalactic conflict with the Nova Empire.
Inching closer to the present, most significant events are directly referenced in prologues or flashbacks. HYDRA is founded, two of the infinity stones end up on Earth, and several important human characters are born.
Following the events outlined above, the entire Marvel Movie timeline is covered by the actual films and shows that add up to the MCU. We’ve broken down the movies and shows – the latter by the episode! – to indicate where they slot into the timeline. As of now, no flash-forwards have given us a peek into the future of the MCU timeline.
- Captain America: The First Avenger (1943-45)
- Agent Carter season 1 (1946)
- Agent Carter season 2 (1947)
- Captain Marvel (1995)
- Iron Man (2010)
- Iron Man 2 (2011)
- The Incredible Hulk (2011)
- Thor (2011)
- Avengers (2012)
- Iron Man 3 (2012)
- Agents of Shield season 1, episodes 1-7 (2013)
- Thor: The Dark World (2013)
- Agents of Shield season 1, episodes 8-16 (2014)
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
- Agents of Shield season 1, episodes 17-22 (2014)
- Daredevil season 1 (2014)
- Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
- Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (2014)
- Agents of Shield season 2, episodes 1-19 (2015)
- Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
- Agents of Shield season 2, episodes 20-22 (2015)
- Ant-Man (2015)
- Jessica Jones season 1 (2015)
- Daredevil season 2 (2015)
- Luke Cage season 1 (2015)
- Agents of Shield season 3 episodes 1-10 (2015)
- Agents of Shield season 3, episodes 11-19 (2016)
- Captain America: Civil War (2016)
- Agents of Shield season 3, episodes 20-22 (2016)
- Agents of Shield season 4, episodes 1-8 (2016)
- Agents of Shield: Slingshot (2016)
- Agents of Shield season 4, episodes 9-22 (2016)
- Iron Fist season 1 (2016)
- The Defenders (2016)
- Spider-Man: Homecoming (2016)
- The Punisher season 1 (2016)
- Doctor Strange (2016-2017)
- Agents of Shield season 5, episodes 1-19 (2017)
- Black Panther (2017)
- Black Widow (2017)
- Jessica Jones season 2 (2017)
- Inhumans season 1 (2017)
- Luke Cage season 2 (2017)
- Iron Fist season 2 (2017)
- Daredevil season 3 (2017)
- The Punisher season 2 (2017)
- Jessica Jones season 3 (2017)
- Runaways season 1 and 2 (2017)
- Cloak and Dagger season 1 and 2 (2017)
- Thor: Ragnarok (2017-2018)
- Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018)
- Avengers: Infinity War (2017-2018)
- Agents of Shield season 5, episodes 19-22 (2018)
- Avengers: Endgame (2018-2023)
- Spider-Man: Far From Home (2024)
Some upcoming MCU content, such as Black Widow, will be slotting in somewhere midway through the timeline instead of continuing forward chronologically. We’ll be updating our timeline as new films and shows are released.